6/26/2006

More on Daily Life and other stuff

So I've had some requests for some more about my experiences and what's going on with me. Here's the Questions:
  • What is my host family like? Well I'm living with an elderly widow named Rose. She is called Mommy by everyone. A number of previous EWB volunteers have stayed here at some point. I was set up here by Mike Quinn, who was the first, and is currently a Long term EWB volunteer based out of Livingston. Rose is really nice, and lives up to her nickname. It has been really easy to settle in here. So it's just the two of us living in a two bedroom house. There are times when it gets kinda boring with no one else around, but the rest of the time I really appreciate the quiet and the space I have to just decompress after a long day. Rose's Son, lives near by with his wife and two small children. They usually drop by for a visit in the evenings and the kids usually find me entertaining.
  • How is the food? Well the first week I spent living in this house, I didn't eat much. My diet was bread and jam. I fell ill my first day here. The usual travelers diareah complicated with Fever. But slowly I've been getting used to eating Nshima and vegetables and meat/chicken. The food is alright. I wouldn't say it's really good, nor would I say it's really bad. It tastes a little bland at times, but I'm used to food with some serious spice. Luckily there are some really decent chilli peppers that are available here that add some flavour to any dish.
  • How am I dealing with the bucket shower? I'm dealing well. At first it was really awkward but I'm getting used to it. The house doesn't have a bathtub, but rather a shower stall. Now you ask, why I don't take a shower when there's a shower stall. Well because there's no hot water, and in the mornings the tap water is usually pretty cold. So the only option is to boil water on the stove, and mix into a bucket of cold water for a perfect bathing blend.
  • How am I dealing with the commute? I'm dealing! The walk to work, which takes me about an hour, has begun to feel like nothing. I find myself spacing out a bit while walking and not realizing how far I've gone, and surprising myself when I reach a turning point or landmark. The return trip home is becoming equally routine. The minibus to Kulima Towers bus station, the connection back out to my neighbourhood, I don't think about it much anymore, it's become routine.
  • Is Paprika a Pepper and is it eaten fresh off the plant? Paprika is a pepper. But I don't think anyone eats it fresh off the plant. Some may, but the bulk of the paprika is either dried and crushed for sale as a spice, or processed for its oil, which becomes an ingredient in various things such as medicines.
  • Background of ANSAPP staff: The staff do not come from any particular cultural background. I think most of them do have farming roots as well as formal educations in some aspect of agriculture.
The past two weeks have been really busy for me. I've spent a lot of time out of the office at various field sites and trainings. I will be writing up some reports on those as well as some updates on the Mungongo nut project soon, so stay tuned!

No comments: